One slayed 32 injured in grenade attack in Jammu bus stand; man with Hizb links held

A GRENADE explosion rocked the crowded general bus stand in the heart of Jammu city on Thursday killing a teenager and injuring 32 others and within hours a man whom the police said was tasked by terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen to carry out the attack was arrested.

The third grenade attack by terrorists on Jammu bus stand since May last comes just three weeks after the Pulwama terror strike on February 14 that killed 40 CRPF jawans bringing India and Pakistan on brink of war.

The grenade attack was carried out inside the general bus stand area around 11.50 am resulting in the death of 17-year-old Mohammad Sharik and injuries to 32 others including 11 from the Valley, 10 from Jammu and others from outside the State, police said. Sharik, a resident of Haridwar in Uttarakhand, succumbed to splinter injuries in hospital, police said. The condition of four persons, two of whom underwent surgeries, was stated to be critical.

Inspector General of Police, Jammu, M K Sinha told reporters that Yasir Javed Bhat, a resident of Khanpora-Dassein village in Kulgam, was tasked by Hizbul Mujahideen district commander, Kulgam, Farooq Ahmad Bhat alias “Umar” to carry out the attack.

Bhat, who had reached Jammu along with the grenade on Thursday morning after he left Kulgam on Wednesday night, was fleeing back after the attack when he was arrested by alert policemen at Nagrota in the outskirts of the city, he said. Producing Bhat before the media persons, Sinha termed his arrest as a “major breakthrough”. A parked bus of the State Road Transport Corporation (SRTC) suffered extensive damage in the blast which caused panic among the people.

“The blast occurred on the roadside when there was a huge rush of people. I had come to drop my wife who was going to board a bus to Punjab,” said one of the injured, Kuldeep Singh from the Pragwal area of the city.

Singh, who is undergoing treatment along with his wife at Government Medical College (GMC) hospital for injuries, said he felt that somebody hurled something which caused the powerful explosion.

“As soon as we came to know about the grenade blast, the police party swung into action and along with civilians evacuated all the injured and took them to Government Medical College hospital where unfortunately Sharik could not survive despite a surgery,” IGP Sinha said.

Immediately after the explosion, people ran for safety and later as the situation returned to normal they evacuated the injured to the hospital. Police parties along with sniffer dogs and forensic experts rushed to the spot and launched a search operation. Sinha said special teams were constituted and asked to go into evidence available and work on the leads. “The teams that were constituted tried assessing from the witnesses as to what they have seen, and the recordings of CCTV camera installed in the area were also seized. “Based on the oral testimony of the eye-witnesses and the CCTV coverage, we were able to identity a suspect who was wearing Jean jackets and carrying red rucksack,” he said.


The Raaah Times

Raaahmedia.Com brings together partners in Raaah, PMC, and United Internet that own and operate successful content brands and distribution businesses across television, print, and the internet, and have technology.

Popular News Categories