Protection from arrest granted to Chidambaram and his son

A DELHI court on Tuesday extended till January 11 the protection from arrest granted to former Union Minister P Chidambaram and his son in the Aircel-Maxis scam. Special Judge O P Saini extended the relief granted to Chidambaram and his son Karti after the CBI and the ED submitted that new material has been recovered which needs to be collated. It also granted time till January 11 to the CBI to get sanction to prosecute some of the people accused in the case.

The CBI had on November 26 told the court that the Centre had granted sanction to prosecute P Chidambaram. The case relates to alleged irregularities in grant of Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) approval in Aircel-Maxis deal.

There are 18 accused in the case. Besides Chidambaram, sanction is required for the prosecution of five public servants. Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing for Chidambaram, had earlier requested the court to extend the protection of the former Union Minister and co-accused Karti in the both the cases filed by the CBI and the ED. The father and the son had recently denied the allegations of both the agencies that they were evasive and non-co-operative during the probe in the case. They said the allegations against them were “unsubstantiated” and there was no need of their custodial interrogation.


.

The Raaah Times

Raaahmedia.Com brings together partners in Raaah, PMC, and United Internet that own and operate successful content brands and distribution businesses across television, print, and the internet, and have technology.

Popular News Categories